Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Should kids get time to read for pleasure during school? (Part 2)


(For part one, please see http://skrashen.blogspot.com/2015/05/should-kids-get-time-to-read-for.htm.)

Prof. Willingham accepts Kamil (2008) as a definitive study showing that  (1) recreational reading/sustained silent reading (SSR) alone doesn't work, and (2)  with extra instruction it does.

But Kamil's version of SSR is bizarre:  In his first study, the treatment was not pure SSR, but used a variety of incentives: rewards for reading a certain amount (pencils, books, t-shirts, public recognition via names on a public list of heavy readers, and certificates and medals at an award ceremony.  There is no evidence that providing incentives is helpful (eg Krashen, 2003) and there is some reason to believe it can be harmful: Kohn  (1999) reviews the research on rewards, and concludes that when we provide rewards for an activity that is already pleasant, it sends the message that the activity is not pleasant, and that nobody would do it without a bribe. These kinds of rewards can thus extinguish the behavior. There is no long-term research on the effects of rewards on recreational reading.

Kamil gives no information about the comparison group, and provides no details about the results, other than telling us that SSR didn't work. No means, standard deviations or the results of statistical tests are provided.

Willingham notes that in Kamil's second study, SSR worked because the texts were more challenging (nonfiction) and students received some instruction. We are not given any details about the books, nor any information about the kind of instruction the students received, other than it was designed to help students understand informational texts. A second group who also read challenging books with no instruction did not show improvement. 

The results of this study suggest only that when students are given difficult texts, they do better with some help. They do not address the question of whether reading comprehensible and interesting texts is good for literacy development. Also, once again, means, standard deviations and the actual results of statistical tests were not presented. We are only told that the researchers used multiple regression.

In other words, Prof. Willingham has gathered support for his position from two very questionable studies.

Kamil, M. (2008). How to get recreational reading to increase reading achievement. In Y. Kim, V. J. Risko, D. L. Compton, D. K. Dickinson, M. K. Hundley, R. T. Jiménez, & D. Well Rowe (Eds.), 57th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference (pp. 31–40). Oak Creek, WI: National Reading Conference.
Kohn, A. (1999). Punished by rewards: The trouble with gold stars, incentive plans, A’s, praise, and other bribes. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. Second Edition.
Krashen, S. (2003). The (lack of) experimental evidence supporting the use of
accelerated reader. Journal of Children’s Literature, 29 (2), 9,16-30.

4 comments:

  1. I am ROSE SMITH from CANADA a single parent, before my husband died he left us with so much DEBT that we could not cope with life, I was totally confused on what to do. When I was going through the internet I came across a POST by MARCUS CAFE about how Mrs JULIA NAVARO help him to get a loan so I applied for the loan from JULIA NAVARO through her mail (navaroloancompany@yahoo.com) of $200,000 with a duration of 10 years. When I was applying for the loan I made a vow to GOD that if I get the loan I will let the world know what she did for me, to my greatest surprise my loan was granted with
    an interest of 2%. I was able to settle my debt and start up a new life and business with a settled family. So if you want any type of loan for as low as 2% please contact JULIA NAVARO on her mail navaroloancompany@yahoo.com.I just fulfilled my vow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that every child needs to improve reading skills, especially when they have a lot of free time. Grownup don't have enough time for personal need. I'm fond of reading, I has a lot of printed books, but now I prefer to read on my e-book, it's more comfortable. Some time later I make some priority, I let a http://top-essays-uk.com/ do my academic papers, and I find more time for my hobby. Really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu'alaikum , Do you need a financial loan help with at 2% interest rate? Our loan ranges from $3,000.00 for more information Contact Us abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah

    ReplyDelete
  4. URGENT LOAN IS AVAILABLE NOW

    TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT $760K FROM A RELIABLE,TRUSTED AND REGISTERED PRIVATE LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK,BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? ARE NOW AFFORDABLE HERE FOR YOU TODAY CONTACT Call/Text +1(315)256-0479 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan from PROF. MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS (profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00USD to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender?
    MRS.DOROTHY JEAN holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Contacts Call/Text +1(315)256-0479
    Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete